Monday, July 13, 2009

How I started selling my pottery

When I first started making pottery about sixteen years ago, I didn't envisage that I would have been able to make a living out through the sales of pottery. My first sojourn into sales of pottery, came through a girlfriend, Dale Isaac, a hat designer. She invited me to come with her to the Four Seasons Hotel in Nevis. I was very nervous about taking that step. She had seen my pottery lining the shelves at my house and felt it was time to make a step into selling. I wasn't so sure about that. That uneasy feeling remained with me as we boarded the Four Seasons boat at the mariner. Other artisans and boutique owners, most of whom I knew, were also making the trip. The show we were heading to was called 'Charlestown Marketplace'. It was an event put on by the Four Seasons for companies who were bringing their top people to the island for a holiday. This was my first of what would be many events like this over the coming years. As I recall that day, I sold two pieces of pottery. By the next day however, I received a call from the owner of The Golden Lemon. At that time this was one of the premier hotels on the island. It had made the 100 best small hotels in the world list and many natble people had stayed there, The Royals of England and other places, Oprah Winfrey and many other very wealthy people. So you can imagine how I felt when I was asked to bring my pottery so that he could see it, possibly to carry it in two of his three shops, the Palm Crafts in downtown Basseterre and the shop at The Golden Lemon. My emotions ran the gamut, from nervousness, to excitement to loss. I had made these pieces from my heart and soul and selling them wasn't something I really wanted to do. The Golden Lemon is located in Dieppe Bay, St. Kitts, about 15 miles from the town of Basseterre, driving in either direction, east or west. I decided to go there, driving on the east coast and return via the west coast. I arrived in the small village, drove down the lane towards the beach, parked my car under the tall coconut palm trees. I walked through the gate into the beautiful landscaped gardens. I recalled, the wedding luncheon that me and my now ex-husband had there in 1987. I was greeted by Martin Kreiner, who was part of the group at Four Seasons. As it turned out, he had observed my work and decided to share his 'find' with his friend and partner Arthur Leaman, the owner of the hotel. The couple had started the hotel, as it turns our in the same year I was born, 1963. I was offered a drink, as we chatted about my sojourn into pottery. As I seeped on my drink, my eyes feasted on the beautiful antique furniture and exquisite ceramics and other works of art. My training as an Interior Designer, brought home to me the fact that this elegant place was indeed very worthy of its reputation, as one of the best small hotels. The question as to whether these people would like my work crip into my mind and I am not so sure. I unwrap each piece of pottery to the 'ohs' and 'ahs' and 'oh how interesting' or 'beautiful'. I feel better but I am still nervouse. Arthur, asked me the prices on the pieces and we made up a list. The pottery I made at that time was one-of-a-kind handbuilt pieces, some highly burnished with smooth stones, made using local clay which I had dug up in Nevis and I had fired it using dried coconut fronds, dried coconut and wood. Some of the pieces I had at the time were left with that natural look - dark red and black. Mr. Leaman bought ALL the pieces. I went home with a nice check, happy but sad!!! I wondered as to whether I would be able to remake these pieces. I had taken photos of the pieces but I just wasn't sure that I could do it again. I also now had an order for more faces and whatever other pieces I would dream up. Was I going to be able to dream up new pieces? I just didn't know. He had also mentioned wanting to see some colour on my pieces...Oh boy, I had work to do now and I had no idea whether I was going to be able to do it. The year was 1993.

Today, as I sit here typing this blog, two groups of people have already visited The Potter's House for the day and it's not yet noon. I was successful in selling to one group. The other group said they were just enjoying the flitting by areas of interest on the island. I have had a busy past week, selling my pottery. I normally sell at The Marriott Hotel, St. Kitts on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10am - 3.30pm, X's Shiggidy Shack on Thursday nights 5pm - 10pm and the Amina Craftmarket on Saturdays 8am - 4pm. The sense of nervousness at selling what I make still assailes me from time to time. I am sometimes unsure as whether what I am making will appeal to my patrons. When I receive a large order, the feeling returns to haunt me...do I have the ability to complete it. In the end, I produce and I sell and I get lots of great reviews, the most popular one is 'what pretty pottery'. I smile and I continue, because somewhere, within me there is a great guiding spirit which takes over and does all of this great work for me. I give thanks to the Creator who works through me and for me.

Carla

1 comment: