Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The joy of making pottery

I have spent quite alot of time, this past week and a half, producing pottery. I feel a sense of calm as I go through the process of preparing the clay. I place a couple huge mounds of clay on my wedging board, then I begin wedging. My mind drifts off..sometimes, I notice the sounds of the ocean, waves crashing on the beach not to far away....I can hear the wind russellin through the leaves of the palm trees in both mine and the neighbour's yard. in the distance. My thoughts drift to my things that are impacting my life. I allow the thoughts to come and go as I enter into a rythmn with hands, body, clay and board. It's a consistent rocking back and forth as clay hits the board over and over again. I am in my own world! When the clay is at a point where I can feel, through experience, that it is ready, I then proceed to my potter's wheel to 'throw' a few pieces. Depending on the time of day, I wrap the clay if airtight plastic bags and I head downtown to my new gallery space. Once I am settled, I sit with clay and press molds at hand, and I begin pressing pieces. I get lost in the activity. Though much easier than throwing, when the pieces have reached leatherhard stage, I have to spend time carving and cleaning them. The feeing I get upon completion of my work, regardless of the technique, is one of pure joy.....that's a welcome feeling and one I should continue to capture alot more! The peace and joy of pottery making!

Carla Astaphan

No comments:

Post a Comment