Wednesday, August 24, 2011

day 6...they're getting there


My challenge today was really getting the girls and the two boys who were in attendance to find that place within them to work quietly. Mostly they know each other and from time to time they will talk about other activities which they would have participated in. It can get a bit noisy and getting them to work quietly is a challenge.

The day started on the potter's wheel. I showed everyone present how to turn the bottom of the pieces which are thrown on the wheel. I had made two pieces the day before so I was able to use those as examples. Turning the bottom of the pieces has to be done at this leather -hard stage of the drying process.

For the benefit of the one of the students who was absent yesterday, and also a male student, I made another piece on the wheel. We already had balls of clay prepared for practice on the wheel. My strategy was to have them all make a piece of handmade pottery that wasn't to demanding yet would give them much needed practice. I showed them how to make a bird from clay.

Since we had only one wheel to work with, I would call each participant, one after the other to spend time with me learning the wheel. Some are beginning to grasp the concept and really get a feel for using this method to create. By the end of each session I attempted to save the pieces....a technique used by the man (Mervelle Martinez) who trained me in Dominica in 1994. My hope is they will be encouraged to continue. I worked all morning barely taking a break today. Ms. Street joined us since she also wanted to grasp the concept of the wheel. She also assisted me with some clay I was in the process of recycling. I really want the participants to grasp that part too....that the clay which isn't used properly can be recycled!

I forgot to take photos of the birdies....but they all did good! Also, everyone now has a piece of pottery which was thrown on the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment