Monday, August 29, 2011

day 9...being a tough cookie

This is crunch time.....I got to the craft house on time. The plan was to have the participants complete the glazing of pieces so that we could pack the kiln. I knew that I would have to do a bisque(firing of green-ware or the first firing of clay pieces) and a glaze firing together. I had those who had arrived early to put all the green-ware pieces outside and we began the packing of the kiln. All the green-ware pieces were stacked on the bottom shelves of the kiln. Those who had glazing to do I had them complete it. I notices that quite a number of pieces had not been glazed on the inside, so that had to be done. I places all the glazed pieces a the top of the kiln....I then called everyone to the kiln room and explained about the firing process. At 10.30am I started the kiln and put it to fire for 13 hours. Over the course of the morning I kept turning up the switches as recommended.


We then turned our attention to creating pure contour drawings then contour drawings of the yellow-bell flower...mostly they are not grasping the concept and are rushing ahead without really looking and drawing just what the eye sees. We also practiced using the phones which some students had in their possession.


After this exercise I gave every child a piece of clay to wedge and shape and shape into ball so that we could practice the wheel. I decided I wouldn't get involved in the pieces they created on the wheel, so I sat in front of the wheel, acing like a real teach. Everyone tried but there is still a distance t go, the wheel isnt easy...there attemps were very good...Three (3) persons were successful in completing a pieceby the end of the day.....Erica, Kelvina and Delton!

Lunch arrived on time....

Nursing a terrible headache I headed out to Frigate Bay to meet someone and then took a dip in the sea before heading back to mi casa....lol!


No comments:

Post a Comment