Friday, August 14, 2009

Finding a new place to house, The Potter's House

In late January, the owners of the house where I am currently located came to see me, to let me know that it was time to vacate the premises...and thus began my search for a new home.

It hasn't been an easy task, finding a place to house me, my children and The Potter's House. Will I get the opportunity again, to live, work and play.

I found a house in February, it would have been okay, but I didn't see anyplace where I could work, so I asked the owner if I could build a place in the yard. He told me he had another place which he was refurbishing and said that would be better for me. The thing is he couldnt begin the process of refurbishing immediately. I didn't mind because we were in the height of the visitor season and moving immediately would be disastrous for my business. I had already told the owners that I would move around April if that was okay with them. That decision however, caused me to change my mind many times over the next few months. Did I want to live in that area. Should I build my own house. I started the search for other options. I came to the decision that I should look to owning my own place. I always wanted one of those Greenheart homes which I had seen in Dominica. I did some research online and found a company who constructs these homes. I realised this could be completed in a short time. I was able to secure a piece of land in April. I soon realised that owning my own property would not be as easy as I envisaged. I contacted the owner of the house had looked at earlier in the year. He told me he was still in the process of refurbishing, but as soon as it is ready, I would get the house. In the meantime, I have kept looking just in case. And especially since, the hurricane season was at hand....the house leaks terribly. I found a small ground level apartment about fifteen minute drive out into the countryside. After some discussion with my family I decided to explore other options and during that time the apartment went to someone else. I received a letter from the lawyers for 'this' house giving me a deadline by which to move. I now HAD to move. The house which was undergoing refurbishment was still not ready. It was July and the move date is August 31st. There were no leads that I could really grab at. Butttt finally this week, Monday, I went to see a house. It was perfect. A three bedroom, two bath house in a nice quiet neighbourhood. To add to it there was also a little hut in the yard. I was estatic! Had I finally found the 'new' Potter's House. I had to wait to find out since there were another person ahead of me. I waited and prayed. I started packing. My girlfriend Fabiana, who is visiting with me from Anguilla was adamant that I must beging packing, to show the Universe that I am ready to move. I was finally given the okay on Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday, I went to read the lease. Lo and Behold! A clause jumped out at me!!! The premises should not be used to conduct business. How could that be?? The owner promises me that she would talk to other sibling about the possiblity of changing the clause. Today, I receive the devastating new that I can't use it for my business at all. I can't work, that is no pottery, no selling of pottery. No way!! I searched for answers. Tears have streamed down my cheeks unchecked quite a few times since. I asked myself many questions and many time WHY?? What is the lesson I ask myself. I have exactly two weeks and I am out of here. Where do we go? Only God knows! I plan to look carefully at all options. I am waiting to hear about that house which is nearing the completion of refurbishment. I am waiting to hear from the people I wrote to about building me one of those lovely little wooden houses. I am awaiting the title to the land I bought. One way or other, I will triumph in the end!!

Peace

3 comments:

  1. Sure, sure, sure. I know you won't be put on the streets.The island is tiny; hope you are checking rural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a decision. I am going to take the house in the quiet neighbourhood. I will do my pottery elsewhere. The Universe is showing me that this is the decision I need to make for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving is always traumatic for me. Artist live & work space are meant to be havens.Some people say that separating those spaces are great but that depends.I like rolling out of bed onto my keyboard, drum, other musical instrument or computer to compose or write when inspired. Apartment or condos are like prisons to me.Single family houses are best.
    Your new situation will help you design you future space. Good luck with moving, be blessed & thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete