Sunday, August 9, 2009

The full moon

This is my last full moon here at The Potter's House, at Camps. I have spent a few minutes, every night, for the past week looking at the moon. I sit on the front steps, and look up into the clear Caribbean night sky, at the beauty of God's creation. The strong light of the full moon lights up the yard. I sit in awe! I know this is my last full moon phase here. I watched as it went from a cresent moon to a almost a half round shape, then to the great big round cheeze in the sky.

On Thursday night, which was the night of the full moon it was actually a very cloudy night. The moon really tried it's best to peep through the clouds. We were at the beach, X's Shiggidy Shack, selling pottery. I kept looking up to see if the moon would appear, but the mountain which towers over Timothy Beach Hotel, though not too high, obscured the effect of the moon for quite a while. I later realised that the moon was having a hard time fighting off the clouds. As I left the beach for home the clouds were clearing up. By the time I got home it had won the battle and now stood in all it's glory casting it's beautiful light upon the yard. I decided to allow it to cast it's light upon me too. I walked through the yard, sat under one of the mango trees, inhaled and exhaled deeply, before I went into the house and to my bed, to sink into blissful sleep. It is a wonderfully relaxing feeling, being one nature and to be part of it in this way.

Tonight, I am going out once again, like I did the night before to enjoy it. Maybe, I took the moon for granted many months as it rose up in the sky and cast it's light on this house and yard. I remember, we used to have poetry readings, under the Mango trees, on the basketball court or the porch. We chose to have it on the full moon. Though short-lived, WOTA (word of the artist) was a great coming together of like-minded persons. We need to find the time to get together again, somehow.

So to the beauty of the full moon in the Caribbean skies...I give thanks. It is always a great feeling, to pause for a moment and enjoy the wonders of creation.

2 comments:

  1. Quite a touching experience.Life is about change, and each change, changes each of us in some way.Part of that change could be( though it's not always)personal growth.The moon will rise over the next Potter's House too and it will be just as beautiful though the shadows it casts in the yard wil have a different,yet similarly beautiful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I often find myself looking up at the moon & stars here too, something I never did before

    ReplyDelete