Saturday, August 1, 2009

The results....FINALLY



Well, it's been a few days since I fired up my electric kiln to complete a glaze firing of pottery which had been created over the last few weeks. It is indeed a process, the making of pottery, from opening a bag of moist clay to seeing the actual piece glazed and fired. I told someone
today, while at the Amina Craftmarket, where I sell my work primarily to cruise ship and stayover visitors, that no one asked me to make pottery or to put a particular design and colour on them. I am inspired by the spirit, something within me that moves me to see, create and do things in a particular way. It allows me to observe and interpret what I see around me and I execute it in my pottery. I also said that no one has to buy it but they do. A potential buyer comes to my gallery or my table at the market, the piece they will eventually buy speaks to them and inspires them to walk away with it. That makes me feel good!!



I am quite happy with the results of this firing, including the pieces which were glazed with the 'wrong' glaze. We unpacked the kiln two days after I fired up the kiln. At my sales event later that night, and again today, the newer designs which I decided to try were the first to 'fly' off the table.


For the pieces which I've sold the process is totally complete. In my gallery and my 'travelling bin' (the container in which I carry my pieces), there is a whole new stock to be sold..the process of pottery making complete! Now, it's time to sell, sell, sell!!!

1 comment:

  1. Carla I love that green vase it is so gorgeous. Once you get some links up to do your selling make sure you share it with us!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete